DR. CARRIE B. KISKER is an education research and policy consultant in Los Angeles, California, and a director of the Center for the Study of Community Colleges (www.centerforcommunitycolleges.org). She engages in relevant and applicable research pertaining to higher education policy and practice and regularly consults with college leaders on issues related to student outcomes and accountability, student mobility, and strategic planning. Dr. Kisker holds a B.A. in psychology and education from Dartmouth College, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in higher education from the University of California, Los Angeles. She co-wrote The American Community College (Jossey-Bass, 6th ed., 2014) with Arthur M. Cohen and Florence B. Brawer and The Shaping of American Higher Education: Emergence and Growth of the Contemporary System (Jossey-Bass, 2nd ed., 2010) with Arthur M. Cohen.
Recent Projects & Publications
- Investing in the Regional Workforce through Higher Education and Training. A description of Dr. Kisker's interactive, data-driven presentation to Arizona's legislative, education, and business leaders can be found here.
- A New Directions for Community Colleges volume on Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement, edited by Drs. Bernie Ronan and Carrie Kisker, can be found here.
- What Does a Ten Percent Achivement Gap Really Mean? (And What Can We Do About It)? This abridged version of a policy report for the California State University Chancellor's Office can be accessed here.
- "What We Can Learn from the 6th Edition of The American Community College: CSCC Awards Luncheon Address" (2014). To download the speech, click here.
- The American Community College (Jossey-Bass, 2014). Available from Amazon.com.
- Statewide Accountability consulting for Arizona's Community Colleges. For more information, click here.
- Utilizing data to improve student success at the California State University. For more information, click here.
- A New Directions for Community Colleges volume on Implementing Transfer Associate Degrees, edited by Drs. Kisker and Wagoner, can be found here.
- The Shaping of American Higher Education: Emergence and Growth of the Contemporary System (Jossey-Bass, 2010). Available from Amazon.com.